The AKC National Owner-Handled Series is a non-titling competition for dogs that are exhibited by their owners that are not professional handlers.
All dogs that are owner-handled and are not owned or exhibited by professional handlers* meet the requirements for this competition. Exhibitors must declare their dog is Owner-Handled eligible at the time of entry using the check box on the entry form. Eligible dogs will be identified by an asterisk in the judge’s book, steward’s book & the catalog. Dogs must be handled throughout the breed level competition for the regular show by an eligible owner. Professional handlers, household members and current assistants** to professional handlers may not exhibit the dog in any competition during the entire show.
Tucson Kennel Club and Greater Sierra Vista Kennel Club offers a Rosette for Each Group Placement.
Owner-Handled Best of Breed will be selected from the dogs that are eligible to compete in the Best of Breed competition including Winners Dog, Winners Bitch and winners of the non-regular classes.
- If the Best of Breed/Variety winner is Owner-Handled competition eligible, it will automatically be Owner-Handled Best of Breed/Variety and be eligible to compete in both the regular as well as the Owner-Handled group.
- If the Best of Breed/Variety winner is not eligible for Owner-Handled competition and the Best of Opposite Sex to Best of Breed/Variety is eligible, the Best of Opposite Sex to Best of Breed/Variety will compete against the eligible exhibits of the other sex to determine Owner-Handled Best of Breed/Variety.
- If neither the Best of Breed nor the Best of Opposite Sex to Best of Breed/Variety are Owner-Handled competition eligible and Select Dog & Select Bitch are both eligible, the judge is to choose Best Owner-Handled exhibit from the Selects and eligible Winners Dog or Winners Bitch.
- If one of the Selects is eligible, excuse all Champions and non-regular class winners of the same sex and then choose Best Owner-Handled exhibit from the remaining dogs of the opposite sex including the eligible Winners.
- If Best of Breed, Best of Opposite Sex to Best of Breed, Select Dog & Select Bitch are not eligible, the judge may choose any eligible dog remaining in the ring including Winners Dog or Winners Bitch as Owner-Handled Best of Breed/Variety.
- If the Best of Winners is eligible, the other Winner is ineligible since it was defeated.
- No class dogs other than the Winners Dog & Winners Bitch are eligible to return to the ring.
The breed will not be represented in the Owner-Handled Group if there is no eligible dog competing in the Best of Breed or in Best of Winners competition.
*Professional handlers are defined as any person who belongs or has belonged to a professional handlers’ organization, distributed rate cards, or otherwise advertised or represented themselves as handling dogs for pay within the last five years.
**A current assistant is defined as anyone employed by a professional handler on a full-time basis, or assisting a professional handler at the show or any during the cluster/weekend.